Upon my retirement I Bought a 2006 Lexus GX 470 loaded New, thinking that such a so called Luxury Vehicle would last my wife after my demise, I did this to keep her from having to deal with car issues, well, this turned out to be the worse purchase I had ever made in the many years of buying cars, there certainly is no Luxury to this purchase whatsoever. For seven years I took the vehicle in to Toyota for all of its servicing oil changes and the like, during that time the aluminum wheels corroded to the point of almost dust,you can imagine what that looked like, after a long contracted fight I finally got them to replace them ( with old refinished wheels) with what they finally admitted were inferior and defective from the start.

As I continued with my every 3000 mile oil changes I again took it in to a dealer for another oil change voting 30.00 and came out with a bill recommending over 3, 500.00 worth of things, the most important being that of the undercarriage being excessively and rapidly rusting away the rear end differential and the entire underbody rusting away at a rate unknown to the industry. The rear differential the dealer told me would cost about 5,000.00 and will soon need replacing, as they did a hammer test on it, and that showed a replacement soon. Now bear in mind this car lives in the garage, it only has 39,000 original miles on it, so it is clear that the material used in this casting from Lexus is and was defective from the start.

I took it to a Lexus Dealer in Ann Arbor Michigan, talked to svc manager, he looked at it and verified that it should be replaced and is not normal, he compared my car to a 2003 same model GX 470 with 267000 miles and there is no comparison, the 2003 has the original black paint still on the differential where mines is completely and fully rusted to point of flaking and falling off thereby depleting the metal casting rapidly. After getting pictures of the comparisons and the report from the Service Mgr, Lexus denied any responsibility to repair it it or replace it citing the warranty, as if I would know this is going on, since we drive sitting on top and inside the underbody, not hanging from it underneath. It clearly is Lexus's responsibility to back their product if defective, and this one clearly is as my pictures prove beyond any doubts. They scrambled to find excuses against their repairing it, such as gaps in the service, of which there was none, poor record keeping on toyota's part and Lexus's part as well. They do not stand behind their products and I would warn anyone looking for a so-called luxury car, it definitely is NOT LEXUS.

You will note in the pictures submitted the differences in the underbodies, the excessively rusted one is the 2006 with 39000 miles, the clean one is a 2003 with 267000 miles judge for yourselves!

Toyota hand Lexus un be known to me at the time has had a rust problem on many of their vehicles since 2003, they refuse to recall and prefer to keep it hushed up, a culture of secrecy. Check the pictures

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

More Review Details

Monetary loss:
Product or service
Lack Of Product Support
Review category
Service Centers and Repairs
review #499371

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Lexus? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 2 No 2
Had the same issue 3 Yes 3
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Feb 01 #1104302

I have crossed this product off my list. Thank you!

0 1 Reply
Lived in Alaska

Mar 20, 2015 #961122

that rusty axle pictured doesn't show anything wrong that a coat of oscote and a fresh coat of paint won't fix. if someone is telling you that you have to replace that axle due to rust they are trying to rip you off.
You haven't seen corrosion and undercarriage damage till you have driven the Alcan highway and several years in Alaska

3 1 Reply

Aug 17, 2014 #857717

Eight years of use in Michigan and you're worried about surface rust on the differential? Take it to a real mechanic who isn't trying to scam you, and he'll tell you that rear end will go another 50 years without any structural issues. Unibody structure, frame rails and sheet metal will be gone long before axle housings rot through.
If it bothers you that much, buy a new vehicle and then take the initiative to WASH the vehicle and FLUSH THE UNDER-BODY once a week during the winter.
If you think driving through salt all day and then parking the vehicle in a garage will keep it from rusting...think again. Keeping it above freezing with all that cräp stuck to the bottom only accelerates the corrosion process.

4 0 Reply
rock star

Aug 13, 2014 #855856 Arlington, Virginia

I work on all makes and models that show rust like that after being in that environment. You should be pissed at your town or county for not using the more expensive grades of salt on the roads that cause much less corrosion. Do your homework before accusing a car manufacturer for something they can't control. Like the technician suggested, I would get any vehicle exposed to the salt roads properly undercoated.

3 0 Reply

Aug 09, 2014 #854081

Toyotas are rust prone and require additional undercoating in salty environments. Michigan is notorious for the excessive salt and brine in the winter.
Every Toyota I have owned has had rust issues. Preventative care is required. I am a Toyota employee.

1 1 Reply

Sep 12, 2014 #869084 Kenai, Alaska

I have been driving toyotas all my life. to me if you keep them maintained they are bullet proof. I myself have never had a rust problem. My neighbor has one a 1984 with like 400k on it and it is rusting away, but the motor just keeps on ticking.

3 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Lexus. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Lexus.
Filing a new complaint about